Cancer is one of the most dreaded and fatal diseases in India. It falls under the genre of lifestyle diseases that have evolved so rapidly that more than 1 billion cases crop up every day.
Every year, about 800,000 new cancer patients get registered with the National Cancer Registry Programme in India. In the next 20 years to come, cancer cases will probably get doubled. It’s said that 600,000 to 700,000 deaths in India was caused by cancer in the year 2012. This shows that cancer is one of the foremost health problems India is facing at present. Lung and oral cancers are the most common types of cancers among men, whereas cervical and breast cancer among women in India.
Here is a list of 5 types of fatal cancer most common among Indian women –
- Lung Cancer: Lung cancer is considered to be the deadliest of all cancers. Environmental pollution, use of ‘gutkha’, smoking trigger this type of cancer. Researchers have found that they could detect lung cancer by a mere blood test. Doctors are now looking at the best way to diagnose the treatment for each patient suffering from cancer.
- Breast Cancer: It is one of the leading causes of deaths among women in India. The chances of women developing breast cancer increase after the age of 40. Some of the other factors that lead to this disease are a poor lifestyle, high level of stress, poor eating habits, irregular sleeping hours, early menarche, late menopause or pregnancy beyond the age of 30. Breast cancer alone accounts for 25 to 32% of all female cancers in India.
- Cervical Cancer: This is another leading cause of deaths among Indian women, According to WHO, over 33000 women die of this cancer annually in India and about one-fourth of the world’s cervical cancer patients reside in India. It is caused by a virus named Human Papillomavirus (HPV) that is transmitted through sexual contact and originates in the cervix. Also, it is more common in women who become sexual active at a very young age.
- Colorectal Cancer: Colon or Colorectal Cancer affects the digestive system of a human body. It generally affects women above 50 years. It is among the 5 most common causes deaths in India. It develops due to overgrowth of cells lining the colon and the rectum. Factors that increase the risk of this cancer are smoking, obesity and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Uterine and Ovarian Cancer: This is a really fatal form of cancer. There are no such screening methods to detect this cancer. Also, its reoccurrence rates are high. Ovarian cancer originates in the ovaries responsible for producing eggs and uterine cancer originates in cells lining the uterine wall.
It’s a matter of life and death for any human being and thereby if you notice any of these symptoms in any of your near and dear ones make sure you respond to it fast. Paclitaxel drug is used to treat ovarian, breast, lung, or any other type of cancers.
Some of the largest generics and specialty pharmaceutical companies in the world are contributing towards this health concern through their Onco Care Division. These companies’ portfolio in India includes high quality, affordable cancer-related cytotoxic and targeted therapies for common types of cancer, such as breast, lung and colorectal. They are keen to address the gaps in HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer management by offering financial, emotional and psychological support.
For most patients in India, there is no insurance cover and treatment cost is out of reach for Cancer patients. Thus, delivery of equitable, quality and affordable cancer care in India is a big challenge.